Sunday, October 30, 2016

Things that are important when running for office in North Dakota.

This is a repeat of a post I generated four years ago. I still think the observations are relevant.

I have conducted a detailed content analysis of the messages of those running for office in North Dakota. Here is what I have learned.

1) It is very important to be born to parents who were also born to parents who lived in North Dakota. No matter how long you live here evidently political office requires that you take your first breath within the state. Longevity of your family in the state appears important in refuting the frequent claim that “he/she is not one of us”.

 2) Killing stuff and carrying a gun is good. Other outdoor activities such as fishing or biking are of less value. Oh, there also seems to be some value in wandering aimlessly through farm fields. To me, this seems a good way to meet one of those guys carrying a gun.

 3) Wear blue jeans whenever possible. Never admit you are a lawyer and you bought the jeans for the election season.

 4) Use the word “fighting” as frequently as possible. Evidently politicians are a very aggressive lot. Perhaps we should consider a more physical alternative to the debates just to see whether the candidates are really as tough as they say

 5) Make it clear that you want nothing to do with Washington (despite the reality that this is where you would like to end up). Remember you are from here and do not want to “go Washington”. Personally, I kind of liked Washington except for the heat.

 6) Always appear to be knowledgeable and be shown doing the talking. I always wonder what the candidates have to say to the guys on the big tractors, the engineers in the power plants, or the university researchers (it always seems scientists with fancy equipment doing medical research) when ads show them talking. “Can I drive?” “What does this button do?” The conversations would likely be less interesting if you really knew what was said.

7) Read a book to a kid and sit on a really small chair.

8) Always grow up poorer than your opponent, but be wealthier now

9) Say cool things – “I say what I mean and I do what I say.” Not me – I say random stuff to confuse people.

No comments: