Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Technology facilitator certification

In most states, administrators, teachers, librarians, nurses, and counselors are required to meet specific certification requirements to work in their positions. This is not true (at least in the states I am familiar with) for technology professionals supporting the instructional mission of educators. I am interested in you sharing your explanation and analysis of this situation. Are there specific recommendations you feel would be appropriate?

This is the first discussion question for those enrolled in my grad instructional design and technology course. Sometimes I ask questions because I have no answer myself and I think that an explanation should exist. Sometimes I think that those who make the rules keep thinking the role of technology instructional support will be absorbed into general training and professional development. I have been waiting twenty years or so and this has not happened.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

For those facilitators who work directly with students I would say they should have some experience in education. I would hope that the district hiring such professionals would look for those credentials on a resume. However, as far as certification being a requirement it's kind of open to interpretation. Those who have a teaching degree and license who are hired as technology facilitators are in certified positions in schools. Though they provide a great deal of experience or expertise in the area of teaching and learning, may not have the expertise or experience working with technology. I would love to hear others' thoughts on this too.

Grabe said...

I assume teaching experience makes a candidate for all of the roles I mention more attractive. However, additional training is also expected.