Tuesday, September 5, 2017

DuckDuckGo - a more private search alternative

I like the idea of keeping competition going even when there is a large lead for one online service. DuckDuckGo continues as an alternative to Google. DuckDuckGo advertises its advantage as privacy and I read that the number of searches using this alternative has doubled since concerns with the collection of search data have surfaced. I found that switching to DuckDuckGo within Safari was easy as it was one of the options provided. Chrome lists alternatives to Google, but not DDG. I added DDG as the default search tool within Safari so I search using different tools when I use different browsers. Why not?

I do not see Facebook, Google, or Apple as devious. Businesses look out for themselves and this must be understood by consumers. I do believe consumers must consider whether too much power in any one service is a good thing or not. In general, despite the best efforts of dominant companies, I think it useful to support alternatives. Dominant companies can have a negative influence for reasons they cannot address.

No comments: